What is it?
Not every hero wears a cape. Plan and Practice your Escape!
That is the message fire and life safety educators in the Northwest Territories will be promoting during Fire Prevention Week 2019. The focus of this year’s campaign is to raise awareness on keeping your family safe by having a home fire escape plan and practicing it regularly.
During Fire Prevention Week, October 6-12th, the Office of the Fire Marshal will be teaming up with the NWT Fire Chiefs Association, local fire departments and schools to distribute fire safety activity booklets called “Fire Safety Starts With You!” to elementary students throughout the NWT.
Work on your Home Fire Escape Plan together!
- Test smoke alarms monthly and ensure they are installed in the correct locations of your home.
- Draw a floor plan of your home showing all doors, windows, and location of smoke alarms.
- Show 2 ways out of every room.
- Make sure all windows and doors open easily.
- Choose a suitable meeting place outside your home.
- Ensure everyone in your home knows your local fire emergency number.
- Practice your escape plan regularly with everyone in your home.
Resources for Community Residents
Reproduced from NFPA's Fire Prevention Week website. © 2019 NFPA.