The Public Safety Division coordinates key regulatory programs and services within the department that support the safety and protection of residents of the Northwest Territories. The Office of the Fire Marshal administers the Fire Prevention Act, reviews plans for new construction and major renovation projects, conducts fire safety inspections and takes enforcement action when fire safety regulations are contravened. Emergency Management is responsible for territorial and community emergency management and planning. Support is available to community governments in the following key areas:
- Developing a community fire department;
- Helping communities raise awareness of fire prevention;
- Creating and maintaining community emergency response plans;
- Support for civil emergency response efforts; and
- Providing disaster assistance when wide-spread damage occurs.
To view the NWT Emergency Plan click here