What is it?
The Regional Youth Sport Events Program provides support to sport and recreation organizations and schools to organize and host regional youth sport events. The intent of the program is to strengthen local programming, support athletes and coaches in smaller communities, and to improve youth participation in physical activity.
Regional organizations or schools are invited to submit applications for up to $25,000 for events that target youth in the NWT under the age of 25 years.
What is the Criteria?
New or existing events will:
- Focus on activities that create increased participation in physical activity and promote healthy lifestyles;
- Include ten (10) or more youth; and
- Involve at least two (2) communities.
- Contribute to the development of athletes and coaches;
- Encourage increased participation in physical activity;
- Improve access to youth sport events for youth in rural and remote communities;
- Assist rural and remote communities to improve their own sport and recreation services; and
- Promote active living and healthy lifestyle choices for youth.
- Preference may be given to events which benefit rural and remote communities.
Funding may be used for:
- Travel and costs related to travel;
- Accommodation and meals;
- Rental of sport and recreation venues;
- Repairs or purchase of sport equipment or training tools up to a maximum of $5,000; and
- Communications including advertising related to the regional youth sport event.
Additional expenses may be approved in advance at the discretion of MACA.
How to Apply
A call for applications will be issued each spring. Interested schools or community organizations can contact us by email at: Sport_And_Recreation@gov.nt.ca for additional information.