Fireworks Permitting

Fireworks are regulated in the Northwest Territories by the Fire Works Regulations of the Fire Prevention Act. Any person who wishes to sell, offer for sale, give, purchase, possess, store or set off fireworks shall apply to the Fire Marshal for written authorization.

“Fireworks” means any substance, combination of substances or article prepared for the purpose of producing a visible or audible effect of combustion, explosion, deflagration or detonation and used for recreation or amusement, and includes cannon crackers, fire crackers, cherry bombs, showers, fountains, golden rain, lawn lights, pin wheels, roman candles, volcanoes, sparklers, rockets, serpents, shells, bomb shells, tourbillions, maroons, bouquets, barrages, bombardos, waterfalls, batteries, mines, illuminations, set pieces and pigeons.

The community fire chief may authorize fireworks displays as a Local Assistant to the Fire Marshal. Assistant Fire Marshals are in each region and can also approve or identify the appropriate Locals assistant for the required approval. This form must be used with every application and distributors are forbidden to sell fireworks to any person not bearing a properly filled out and approved application.

Any questions on fire works can be addressed to an Assistant fire marshal in your region or to headquarters.

Natural Resources Canada Fireworks Information Site

NWT Fireworks Regulations

Fireworks Purchasing and Use Form

Application to Sell Fireworks