NWT Youth Ambassador Program Background
The NWT Youth Ambassador Program (NWT YAP) has been in operation in the Northwest Territories for 12 years, and offers a guided and structured volunteer experience for NWT youth at major territorial, national and international events. Participants have the opportunity to develop life and job skills as well as to build the confidence necessary to deal with complex life challenges. Key outcomes can be described as:
- Youth experience personal growth and development as a result of their participation;
- Youth experience changes that allow them to make healthier choices with respect to healthy sexuality, living tobacco free, healthy eating, physical activity, injury prevention, and mental wellness.
Past events have included the Canada Winter Games, the North American Indigenous Games, the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, and the Arctic Winter Games. Over the last 12 years the NWT Youth Ambassador Program has included hundreds of young people from 33 communities, large and small, across the NWT. Not only has the NWT Youth Ambassador Program given young people opportunities to travel, volunteer, meet new people, and develop leadership skills, it has been life changing for many participants.
About the NWT Youth Ambassador Program
- The NWT Youth Ambassador Program gives youth an opportunity to build leadership skills through participation at special events and volunteer assignments.
- Selection based on community involvement, commitment to a healthy lifestyle, and reflection on how the NWT Youth Ambassador Program will help them in the future
- Youth must be between the ages of 16-22, as of March 1, 2021
- All eligible youth from across the NWT are encouraged to apply
- Call for Applications will be announced in 2020.
Mission Statement: To provide NWT youth with opportunities for personal growth, leadership development and healthy lifestyle choices.
Vision Statement: Northwest Territories youth with the skills and confidence to become leader in their communities, and Ambassadors for the NWT.
- Inspire personal growth in youth
- Initiate youth leadership development
- Promote healthy lifestyle choices
- Create a safe and inclusive learning environment
- Between 16-22 years of age as of March 1, 2021
- Be a resident of the Northwest Territories
- Hold valid NWT Health Care