Table of Contents
The After School Physical Activity Program provides funding to schools and community-based organizations to build on existing programs or create new physical activities for all school-aged children and youth during the after-school time period with a strong focus on engaging currently inactive or underactive youth.
Projects funded across the territory include a broad range of activities, including cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, Nordic walking, hip hop, floor hockey and badminton. In some cases, the funding is being provided for much needed equipment such as soccer and basketballs; to set up fitness centres with cardio and weight machines; or to provide students with a healthy snack to fuel their play.
- Schools (Kindergarten-12); and
- Community organizations that work in partnership with schools and/or the community recreation department. In order for community organizations to be eligible, the application form must be co-signed by a school Principal or the Recreation Coordinator.
- Provide positive benefits to ten (10) or more students;
- Within a one hour period, participants must be active a minimum of 40 minutes;
- Primarily targets inactive or underactive children and youth;
- Takes place in the after school time period (3:30 pm – 8:00 pm);
- Targets school-aged children and youth: 5-19 years old;
- Activities allow all children and youth to participate regardless of experience and/or physical activity level;
- Your activity may target specific age groups; and
- Engages and trains youth in positions of leadership and responsibility.
- Staff (including youth leaders);
- Staff and youth leader training;
- Healthy snacks;
- Facility rental (activities are not limited to school property); and
- Program fees (in user-pay programs) for children and youth who would otherwise not be able to participate due to financial constraints.
A call for applications will be issued each spring. Interested schools or community organizations can contact us by email at: Sport_And_Recreation@gov.nt.ca for additional information.