The governments of Canada and the Northwest Territories (GNWT) are investing $25.8 million over the next 10 years under the New Building Canada Fund– Provincial-Territorial Infrastructure Component – Small Communities Fund (SCF) to support infrastructure projects in NWT communities. The fund, which is delivered nationally, targets communities with a population of less than 100,000 people. The funding will be available from 2014 to 2024.
More information about the fund:
- The Government of Canada will enter into funding agreements with the GNWT.
- GNWT will then identify and propose projects with NWT community governments for consideration under the SCF program.
- Municipal & Community Affairs (MACA) will be responsible for allocating funding through community agreements.
- An Oversight Committee consisting of representatives from the Federal and Territorial Governments will manage the SCF agreement.
- For projects in the NWT, Canada will fund up to 75% of total eligible costs. The remaining 25% of the approved project budget will be funded by community government funding sources, such as the MACA Community Public Infrastructure (CPI) Fund for eligible project expenses.
- The GNWT will be allocating funds to NWT community governments based on recommendations coming out of the funding formula review that took place in 2014. Following a MACA review and analysis of the capital funding distribution process, , it identified the growing infrastructure deficit and significant differences in funding among NWT communities. The current allocation therefore takes these factors into consideration to determine the available funding under the SCF for each community.
- NWT community governments interested in accessing the SCF will be required to complete, sign and submit the application provided, including the required documentation to support the proposed project review and approval process.