The Volunteer Recognition Policy allows community governments to promote and encourage community volunteerism through planned community recognition events. Community governments can apply for contributions up to one thousand dollars ($1000) per year for eligible costs related to hosting community recognition events.
Below are the program application criteria. For full information see the Volunteer Recognition Policy.
Eligibility and Criteria
A call for applications will be issued every spring. Each community government may apply for a maximum of $1000 per application cycle to support the recognition of volunteers. A second call for applications may be issued should there be available funding after the first round of applications is approved.
- Applications for funding must include budget estimates that detail all sources of revenue and all expected expenses.
- Applications must also include an event design description, event objectives, and the date of the planned event.
- Applications must be submitted in accordance with the application form and guidelines provided by the Department.
- Applications for events which have already taken place will not be considered.
- Only those planned community events which serve to recognize and/or promote community volunteers and/or volunteer organizations are eligible for funding under this policy.
Eligible expenses include:
- Materials and supplies (gifts/plaques, etc.) having a total value of less than three hundred dollars ($300.00)
- Rental of venues
- Other expenses may be submitted for approval to the department prior to being incurred
Ineligible expenses include:
- Core operational funding;
- Per diems, fees, wages or similar payments to participants;
- Expenses related to the conduct of fund raising events
- Cash gifts; or prizes valued at three hundred dollars ($300.00) or
Reimbursement and Reporting Considerations
Funding under this policy will be provided upon receipt of the following documents within 30 days after the event:
- A summary report detailing how the funding was used, in the template provided by the Department; and
- A financial report showing all revenues and expenses related to the event, accompanied by receipts.
Review and appeal
Applications will be reviewed on the basis of the completed application form and according to the precepts of this policy by the Sport, Recreation and Youth division of the Department.
In the event an applicant wishes to appeal the review or decision of their application, an appeal may be made in writing to the Deputy Minister.