The School of Community Government provides an integrated approach to community government capacity building. The School coordinates a system of training and development, tools and resources, and supporting programs for community governments, staff, and organizations that support community governments.
Through a partnership approach involving community governments, territorial and professional organizations, government departments, and educational institutions, the School of Community Government:
- Assesses community needs;
- Develops occupational standards;
- Establishes training plans;
- Provides needed tools and resources;
- Coordinates the delivery of training and development opportunities;
- Awards certification; and
- Achieves community capacity government building results.
The goals of the School of Community Government include: enhancing the capacity of community governments through governance training; enhancing the competencies of community government staff by providing training and development opportunities that meet occupational standards; training Northerners for community government positions; and assisting local staff with the training and development required to advance to more senior level community government positions.
Training is available in:
- Airport Maintenance;
- Bylaw Enforcement;
- Community Finances;
- Emergency Management;
- Fire Protection;
- First Responder;
- Land Administration;
- Recreation Facility Operations;
- Recreation Leadership;
- Senior Administration;
- Water and Waste; and
- Work Operations and Works Management.