What is it?
Every Second Counts - Plan Two Ways Out!That is the message fire and life safety educators in the Northwest Territories will be promoting during Fire Prevention Week 2017. The focus of this year’s campaign is to raise awareness on keeping your family safe by having a home fire escape plan and practicing it regularly.
During Fire Prevention Week, October 8-14th, the Office of the Fire Marshal will be teaming up with the NWT Fire Chiefs Association, local fire departments and schools to distribute home fire escape activity booklets called “Fire Safety Starts With You – Plan Two Ways Out!” to elementary students throughout the NWT.
What activities are available?
How to create a Home Fire Escape Plan
- Test smoke alarms monthly and ensure they are installed in the correct locations of your home.
- Draw a floor plan of your home showing all doors, windows, and location of smoke alarms.
- Show 2 ways out of every room.
- Make sure all windows and doors open easily.
- Choose a suitable meeting place outside your home.
- Ensure everyone in your home knows your local fire emergency number.
- Practice your escape plan regularly with everyone in your home.
Home Fire Safety Contest
NWT residents and their children are encouraged to participate in the Home Fire Safety Contest for a chance to win one of five regional prize kits.
Prize items include:
- Home smoke alarms;
- Two story fire escape ladder;
- Fire truck LEGO set
Contest entry deadline is: November 15th, 2017
What Resources are Available?
Schools and Parents
- 2017 "Fire Safety Starts With You" - Student Activity Booklet
- 2017 "Fire Safety Starts With You" - Lesson Plan
For Community Residents
For Fire Departments
* Reproduced from NFPA's Fire Prevention Week Website. © 2017 NFPA.